Sunday, October 6, 2013

Kale, Chicken Sausage, and White Bean Soup


Ahh...the smell of fresh baked bread and a warm, cozy soup on the stove. I love those smells and the yummy food that goes along with them. I had some kale in the fridge and some chicken sausage in the freezer that I decided to make into a soup for dinner last night. Of course, soup can not be eaten alone. It must have a crusty roll or bread to serve along side. I decided to try out my friend Carmen's recipe, from her blog Carmen's Kitch for a crusty french baguette. She did not steer me wrong! The soup, paired with that crusty, delicious baguette and a glass of chardonnay was amazing! The husband was in agreeance that I should write down the recipe and make it again soon!

 

Kale, Chicken Sausage and White Bean Soup

1 package of chicken sausage (I used Al Fresco: Sweet Apple), cut lengthwise in half and then into  1/3'' chunks
1 Tbs olive oil
3 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 a red onion, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
1 bunch of kale, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 can white beans, drained
6 cups chicken stock
4 oz uncooked elbow macaroni
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust for spice)


Heat oil over med-high, in large pot, add chicken sausage, celery and onion. Cook until onions are just softened. Add garlic and kale. Cover and cook until kale is reduced but still crunchy. Add remaining 6 ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook about 8 minutes, or until macaroni is al dente. Reduce heat to low and simmer until ready to eat. (I could only wait 10 minutes)

Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a crusty baguette.








No comments:

Post a Comment